If I have a Taiwan document which requires legalization(authentication) for use in another country, what should I do?
- Data Source：Bureau Of Consular Affairs
Most, but not all, foreign governments require that documents from Taiwan to be legalized by the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) or Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) branch offices. Therefore, BOCA suggests applicants contact the embassy/ consular/office of the country requesting the document to determine whether or not theses documents need BOCA of MOFA's authentication. If they do, the requirements are as follows.
- Applicants must present the original document certified by a notary public.
- Applicants or their agents are required to provide BOCA or MOFA's branch offices with one supplementary notarized/verified copy of each document for record-keeping.
- Applicants or their agents are required to present original identification papers and one supplementary for record-keeping. If submitted by an agent, an original Letter of Appointment is also required.
- BOCA and MOFA's branch offices provide walk-in-service only. Applicants are served on a first-come first-served basis.
- The fee for the authentication of each notarized original document is NT$400; for each extra notarized copy it is NT$200, and pick-up is after two working-days. (EX: handing document and paying on Friday morning would mean pick-up is on Tuesday morning.).
- For one-day expedited service, each notarized original document will be charged NT$600 and each extra notarized copy will be charged NT$300. Pick-up is after one working-day. (EX: handing document and paying on Friday afternoon would mean pick-up is on Monday afternoon.)
- Failure to adhere to BOCA or MOFA's branch offices guidelines may prolong the authentication process.
- Office hours of consular services: 8:30a.m.-17:00p.m. through the lunch hour from Monday to Friday (except national holidays or typhoon day)
For further information, please contact:
- Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2-2,Chi-nan Rd., Floor 3-5,section 1, Taipei, Taiwan
Tel: (02) 2343-2913, 2343-2914
- Central Taiwan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
No. 503, 1st Fl., Sec 2, Li-Ming Rd., Tai-Chung City, Taiwan
Tel: (04) 22510799
- Southern Taiwan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
3rd & 4th Fl., No.6, Zhengnan St., Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Tel: (07) 715-6600
- Eastern Taiwan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
6Fl., 371 Jung Shan Road, Hualien City, Taiwan
Tel: (03) 833-1041
- Southwestern Taiwan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
2Fl., 184 Wufeng North Road, Chiayi City, Taiwan
Tel: (05) 225-1567