Go to main content area

Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China(Taiwan)


What documents do I need to prepare when applying for a resident visa for studying Chinese language in Taiwan?

  • Created:2017-08-10
  • Data Source:Bureau Of Consular Affairs
  • Counter:10199

You have to apply for a visitor visa for studying Chinese (visa code: FR) at an ROC overseas mission before entering Taiwan. If you have already completed four months of study in Taiwan and have enrolled at the same school to carry on the study for another three months, you may submit your application with the following documents at the Bureau of Consular Affairs, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or the Central Taiwan Office, Southern Taiwan Office, Southwestern Taiwan Office or Eastern Taiwan Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to convert your visitor visa into a resident visa.

  1. A passport still valid for more than six months with empty pages. And copies of basic-data page of passport are also required.
  2. A properly completed visa application form. You need to first access the website https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/ to fill out application form online and print it out with the bar code.
    1. You must sign the form to confirm that the information you have provided is true.
  3. Two 2"x2" photographs
    1. *Photographs must be taken within the last six months, in color and with a white-color background.
  4. Certificates of enrollment and registration issued by the Chinese language school affiliated to one of the universities or institutions accredited by the Ministry of Education (original and one copy).
    1. For an updated list of schools, please visit: https://english.moe.gov.tw/mp-1.html
  5. An attendance record.
  6. A transcript of academic records.
  7. Proof of financial support.
  8. A study plan.
  9. A health certificate issued within the past three months either by one of the accredited local hospitals (list attached) or by a licensed foreign hospital or clinic.

For details, please visit the website of the Center for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx?treeid=e79c7a9e1e9b1cdf&nowtreeid=11a5b455c34bb13d&tid=0062B45265C983BF.

For information regarding accredited hospitals, please visit: http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/info.aspx?treeid=e79c7a9e1e9b1cdf&nowtreeid=11a5b455c34bb13d&tid=3A55BC8972235072.

*Foreign documents must be authenticated by an ROC mission abroad. If the documents are in a language other than English, they must be submitted together with a Chinese or English translation and authenticated by an ROC mission abroad.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs or the Central Taiwan Office, Southern Taiwan Office, Eastern Taiwan Office or Southwestern Taiwan Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs may arrange an interview with the applicant or request other supplementary documents in certain individual cases.

Go Top