Go to main content area

Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China(Taiwan)


I’m an academic exchange student. What documents do I need to prepare when applying for a resident visa?

  • Created:2024-01-01
  • Data Source:Bureau Of Consular Affairs
  • Counter:14388

Exchange students, who participate an academic exchange program and schedule to study in Taiwan for more than six months, must prepare the following documents to apply for a resident visa (code: FS) at ROC overseas missions.

  1.  A passport still valid for more than six months with empty pages. And copies of basic-data page of passport are also required.
  2. A properly completed visa application form. You need to first access the website https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw to fill out application form online and print it out with the bar code.
    • You must sign the form to confirm that the information you have provided is true.
  3. Two 2"x2" photographs
    • *Photographs must be taken within the last six months, in color and with a white-color background.
  4. An admission letter from the school.
    1. Exchange students at universities or colleges must submit a letter of approval for the exchange program issued by the university or college concerned in Taiwan.
    2. Exchange students at senior high schools must submit a letter of approval issued by the Ministry of Education or education departments of city/county governments.
  5. A health certificate issued within the past three months either by one of the accredited local hospitals (list attached) or by a licensed foreign hospital or clinic. Foreign documents must be authenticated by an ROC mission abroad. If the documents are in a language other than English, they must be submitted together with a Chinese or English translation and authenticated by an ROC mission abroad.

ROC overseas missions, the Bureau of Consular Affairs or the Central Taiwan Office, Southern Taiwan Office, Eastern Taiwan Office or Southwestern Taiwan Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs may arrange an interview with the applicant or request other supplementary documents.

The exchange students in Taiwan who hold a visitor visa with the mark FS issued by an ROC overseas mission may apply to the National Immigration Agency for residence for the same purpose in Taiwan.


Go Top